What is the Haberdashery?
The Gentlemen’s Haberdashery is one of Orange County’s most celebrated charitable fundraisers and social events. Featuring 40 of Orange County’s most prominent male executives and community leaders modeling a full range of menswear, the Haberdashery provides the major funding for the Heart of Jesus Retreat Center in Santa Ana, CA.
The Gentlemen’s Haberdashery was conceived in 1978 when the Sisters of the Society Devoted to the Sacred Heart asked then-Orange County Supervisor Thomas F. Riley and his wife, Emma Jane, for support in raising funds to expand the Sisters’ Heart of Jesus Retreat Center. Supervisor and Mrs. Riley joined with Rancho Mission Viejo President and CEO Anthony R. Moiso and wife, Melinda, in 1983 to chair this annual event. With the passing of Supervisor Riley (1998) and Mrs. Riley (1999), Tony and Melinda continued the legacy of leadership as the Haberdashery’s co-chairs.
Video of the 25th Anniversary of the construction of the current Heart of Jesus Retreat Center, Santa Ana, California shown at the 2017 Gentlemen’s Haberdashery
The Heart of Jesus Retreat Center is operated by the Sisters of the Society Devoted to the Sacred Heart to provide religious formation and avenues of faith development for children, all within the confines of a safe, secure and caring Center situated in the heart of Santa Ana, CA. The Center welcomes 12,000-14,000 attendees each year, many from local parishes, schools, and more.
In 2008, after 30 years of success, the Haberdashery was placed on hiatus. In 2013, aligned with fresh goals for the Retreat Center, the Gentlemen’s Haberdashery was re-introduced to a new group of Orange County leaders and models during the 31st Gentlemen’s Haberdashery.
Fashion with a Heart
The Haberdashery Committee members and the Sacred Heart Sisters provide a fun fashion show and luncheon that has become as much a friend raiser as a fund-raiser. Each person attending the event gives a gift to literally thousands of children. In return, children who have benefited from the Heart of Jesus Retreat Center, share a song of gratitude with each of the guests and give each guest a personal, hand-made Thank You card with their promise of prayers—and the children keep their promise!
An Overview of Our Cause
- Owned and operated by the Sisters of the Society Devoted to the Sacred Heart (S.D.S.H.)
- Providing retreats for over 12,000 participants yearly – children, youth, adults, and families.
- In continuous operation for 42 years, located in South Santa Ana.
- Now Ministering to the 2nd generation.
- Participants from Orange, Los Angeles, Riverside and San Bernardino counties.
- Rebuilt and expanded in 1992 with the help of the Vanguard Capital Campaign.
- Welcoming all of God’s children in cultural diversity.
- Committed to the principle that one day can make the difference of a lifetime.
- Over 350,000 retreatants and growing.
Gentlemen's Haberdashery Committee
Marc and Trina Lamkin
Jeremy and Frandy Laster
Melinda and Tony Moiso
Eden and George O’Connell
Emmy Lou Jolly-Vann
Sister Paula Sawhill
Sister Gabrielle Vogl